Thursday 30 April 2020

Hidden in the Country

Level: B1

A car drew up outside the Swan Hotel and a young man got out. Pausing only for an instant to see that he had come to the right place, he went into the hotel and rang the bell on the counter of the bar.

Mrs Crump, the landlady, who was busy in the kitchen at the time, hurried out, wiping her hands. The young man raised his hat. ‘Excuse me,’  he said. ‘I’m looking for my uncle, Mr  White. I believe he is staying here.’

‘He was staying here,’ Mrs Crump corrected him. ‘But I’m afraid that he went back to London yesterday.’

‘Oh dear,’ said the young man, looking disappointed. I understood that he was going to stay here until the end of the month. At least, that is what his servant told me when I rang up his house.’

‘Quite right,’ said Mrs Crump.  ‘He intended to stay here the whole of July, as he always  does. But yesterday he got a letter to say that one of his relatives was ill. So he caught the train back to London immediately.’

‘I wish he had let me know,’ the young man said. ‘I wrote him a letter saying that I was coming. I’ve had all this trouble for nothing. Well, since he isn’t here, there is no point in waiting.’

He thanked Mrs Crump and went out. Mrs Crump went to the window and watched him drive off. When his car was out of sight, she called out: ‘You can come out now, Mr White. He’s gone.’

Mr White came out of the kitchen, where he had been waiting. ‘Many thanks, Mrs  Crump,’ he said, laughing. ‘You did that very well. These nephews of mine never give me any peace. That young man is the worst of them all. As you see, when he needs money, he even follows me into the country. Well, perhaps next time he won’t warn me by writing me a letter!’

Glossary

at least- used when you are correcting or changing something that you have just said
catch a train- to get on a train etc. in order to travel on it
counter- the place where you pay or are served in a shop, bank, restaurant, etc.
disappointed- unhappy because something you hoped for did not happen, or because someone or something was not as good as you expected
draw up- to arrive somewhere and stop
drive off- to leave in a car
hurry- to do something or go somewhere more quickly than usual
immediately- without delay; at once 
instant- a moment
intend- to have something in your mind as a plan or purpose
landlady- a woman who rents a room, building, or piece of lad to someone
nephew- the son of your brother or sister, or the son of your husband’s or wife’s brother or sister
out of sight- outside the area that you can see
pause- to stop speaking or doing something for a short time before starting again
point- reason
raise- to move or lift something to a higher position, place, or level
relative- a member of your family
ring up- to telephone someone
understand- to believe or think something is true because you have heard it or read it
warn- to tell someone that something bad or dangerous may happen
wipe- to rub a surface with something in order to remove dirt, liquid, etc.

Collocations

ring the bell
hurry out
wipe your hands
raise your hat
I’m afraid that
look disappointed
intend to do something
catch a train back to a place
have trouble
for nothing
not give someone any peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Greek Suffixes 2

Level: C1 hyper- over, beyond: hyperbole, hypercritical hypo- under: hypothesis, hypocrite meta- (met) implying, change: metaphor, met...