Monday 1 July 2019

Fiona's Presentation

Level: B2

A. How did you like the meeting yesterday?
B. Well, Fiona's presentation was fantastic!
A. You can say that again! Her performance was brilliantly flawless, her report was amply informative and her poise was admirable!
B. And how! The boss must have loved it, too.
A. On the contrary. He doesn't seem to see eye to eye with Fiona on several points.
B. He doesn't? But he looked so interested at the meeting.
A. You've got to be kidding! He was deliberately playing games on his phone during her presentation. Anyway, I don't reckon he'll be around for long.
B. No?
A. Of course not. He's at odds with the board of directors on almost everything. They have taken issue with him over his latest changes in the Public Relations Department. They feel he should have sounded out the board about the changes first.
B. You seem so well-informed.
A. You bet I am! I'm his secretary after all. And I can assure you he's in for it really soon. But I'm glad I said my piece at the meeting. Fiona gave a dazzling performance, and the staff had to speak up. I'm convinced she has won over the board of directors. I wish you had put in your two pennyworth, too.
B. You must be kidding! You know I can't be on a different wavelength from the boss.
A. I can understand where you're coming from, but he's your husband only at home; you do have the right to disagree with him at work.
B. Well, maybe you're right.

Glossary

You can say that again!- I agree with you completely.
And how!- I agree with you strongly.
On the contrary- the opposite of the last thing said;
(not) see eye to eye with someone (on/about something)- (not) agree with someone;
You've got to be kidding! or You must be kidding!- I don't agree; you are joking.
be at odds with someone (over/on something)- disagree with someone;
take issue with someone/something- start disagreeing with;
sound someone/something out (about something)- try to find out what someone thinks about a plan or idea;
You bet- I agree; I'm willing to do what you suggest.
be in for it- be going to experience something unpleasant very soon;
say your piece- say exactly what you think or feel;
speak up (for someone/something)- say what you think clearly and freely especially in order to support or defend someone/something;
win someone over- get someone's support or approval by persuading them that you're right;
put in your two pennyworth (UK) or put in your two cents’ worth (US)- give your opinion about something even if other people do not want to hear it;
be on the same/a different wavelength as/from someone- have the same or different opinions and feelings;
where someone is coming from- what causes someone to have a particular opinion or say or do something;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Greek Suffixes 2

Level: C1 hyper- over, beyond: hyperbole, hypercritical hypo- under: hypothesis, hypocrite meta- (met) implying, change: metaphor, met...