Sunday 4 August 2019

All in a Day's Work

Level: B2

A. … So how did it go?
B. Well, at first he wouldn't open up, and I had to try to draw him out. He's a bit shy, you know, and calms up easily, but between you and me, I reckon he fancies me. Then, I was about to ask him to stop beating about the bush and tell me how he really felt about me when Jenny butted in on us-
A. Uh oh. Here comes my boss. I'll have to go.
B. Okay. I'll call later to pick up on-
A. Bye. [Hangs up.] Good morning, ma'am.
C. Morning. Was it Martha in Human Resources?
A. Yes, ma'am.
C. Don't let that girl bend your ear about her silly problems. And don't let her in on what we're planning.
A. No, ma'am. I can hold my tongue.
C. I hope so. You were supposed to touch base with her boss, Mr. Parker.
A. I tried but couldn't get through to him.
C. All right. Any calls?
A. Yes, ma'am. Ms. Bennett from Accounting made an early call.
C. Oh, her. She badly wants to be in the loop on our campaign, but I can't possibly let her get wind of our plans.
A. Yes, she definitely said you are actively cutting her out of the loop.
C. Now, lend an ear to me, Margaret. Bennett's a cunning woman, and very persuasive. Even I had to bit my tongue once while talking to her on the phone the other day.
A. I'll be careful, ma'am.
C. Good. Now, get in touch with Mr. Parker asap. Tell him I'll see him after the management meeting this afternoon to compare notes with him.
A. I'll call him right away. Is that all, ma'am?
C. Yes, for now.

Glossary

open up (to someone) (about something)- stop being shy and talk freely;
draw someone out- encourage someone to talk and express themselves freely;
calm up- refuse to talk;
between you and me- this is private;
beat about/around the bush- talk about something for a long time and avoid to talk about the main point;
butt in (on someone)- rudely interrupt a conversation;
pick up on something- return to a point or subject already mentioned or discussed;
bend someone's ear (about something)- talk for a long time;
let someone in on something- tell a secret to someone;
hold your tongue or bite your tongue- stop yourself from saying something that may cause a problem;
touch base (with someone)- talk to someone briefly to find out about something;
get through (to someone)- reach someone on the phone;
in the loop/out of the loop- included in/excluded from those people that deal with something important;
get wind of something- find out about a secret;
lend an ear (to someone)- listen to someone;
in touch (with someone)- communication with someone;
compare notes (with someone)- share opinions about the same event, situation, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Greek Suffixes 2

Level: C1 hyper- over, beyond: hyperbole, hypercritical hypo- under: hypothesis, hypocrite meta- (met) implying, change: metaphor, met...